Difficulty: Medium High
Choquequirao in 5 days / 4 nights
Choquequirao is located southeast of the city of Cusco , including Cusco department and the department of Apurimac in southern Peru , this is a great alternative to meet rather than the route of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu . In five days of hiking mountains combined with variety of flora and fauna. The ruins have been partially cleaned by COPESCO today , the government body responsible for tourism in Peru . On route to Choquequirao , climate is varied , from warm area interandean up jungle.
The name Choquequirao means " cradle of gold " , and this city is considered as the sister of Machu Picchu by their similarities. Both are at 1500 meters above a river : Choquequirao - Apurimac River and Machu Picchu - Urubamba river. It was an administrative and religious center. It covers more than 8 acres and only one third was discovered and every day archaeologists discover more .
Day 1 : Cusco - Cachora - Chiquisca (L, D )
4:30 a.m. leave Cusco in a private car to take us to the town of Cachora. That our horsemen and mules to the load will be waiting . We walked about 6 hours, down to the Apurimac canyon Chiquisca 1800 meters where we camped .
Day 2 : Chiquisca - Maranpta - Choquequirao (B, L, D)
After a hearty breakfast we start our trek to the Apurimac River . After crossing the bridge begins the ascent of approximately 5 hours to reach Maranpata for lunch. After a couple of hours we arrive at Choquequirao where we camp.
Day 3 : Choquequirao (B, L, D)
Visit the archaeological complex of Choquequirao.
Day 4 : Choquequirao - Santa Rosa - Chiquisca (B, L, D)
Morning after breakfast start the descent towards Santa Rosa, where we have lunch . About 6 hours during the day until Chiquisca .
Day 5 : Chiquisca - Cachora - Cusco ( B )
After breakfast we started the ascent of three hours plus 2 hours Cachora level walk to where we will be waiting for a private car to take us back to Cusco , arriving at 4.00 pm
B: Breakfast , L: Lunch , D: Dinner
1. This hike can be done in 4 days / 3 nights if you are in good physical condition
Two . If you want you can return by Huanipaca for a full turn
• Professional guide English / Spanish
• Second Assistant ( from 10 people)
• Private transportation from your hotel , Cusco - Cachora - Cusco
• Horsemen and mules to carry all the luggage camping
• Mules to carry the team their large backpacks , maximum 7 kg
• Cook and assistant cook
• All meals on the road ( breakfast, lunch , dinner )
• Dining tent with tables and chairs
• Kitchen tent
• Double tents for two. It is very comfortable and safe for your backpacks . Our tents are 3 seasons and this year.
• Matras ( insulated sleeping mats )
• Accommodation for all our staff
• First Aid Kit
• Entrance ticket to Choquequirao